Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ubuntu and sensitive touchpads

My current environment is a MacBook Air 13". The hardware is great, light, fast, good battery life and big touchpad. Unfortunately my typing style means that I'm continuously putting my palm close enough to the touchpad to change input focus. I tried to change the sensitivity with gpointing-device-settings however it didn't suit my needs.

Enter touchpad-indicator: It sits in the background and disables the touchpad whenever a mouse is plugged in, and re-enables it when the mouse is unplugged. For me this is a much better solution as it completely removes the problem of accidental mouse clicks, and I use the mouse automatically if it is available.

The current version seems to have a timing problem that causes it to miss mouse-remove events (see Bug #1111784), and doesn't handle the mouse being plugged in or out when the laptop is suspended. I've created a branch that resolves both of these issues at: https://code.launchpad.net/~akgrant0710/touchpad-indicator/akgfixes

No comments:

Post a Comment